my sweet peach

my sweet peach

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Breastfeeding sucks...literally!

So most of you that know me, know I breastfed both my children and now plan on doing so with Tate. I had set backs with Teighan, and Takoda and now with Tate as well. With Teighan I ended up with Mastitis, and Yeast and he got thrush, it was painful but I was determined and we got through it, he nursed for 10 months until I found out we were pregnant with Takoda. Takoda made my nipples sore and cracked, but we got through it too. She nursed till 15 months, only. She never took a bottle, neither did Teighan.
Tate has now lost a pound. Which adds up to 20% of his birth weight. However if you look into this, babys of csection mothers tend to take on some of the iv fluids and may weigh more then actually are supposed to. Anyway, he isnt nusring correctly, my nipples are sore, but I am making plenty of milk. Sean is giving him a bottle(which I hate only cause it makes me feel like I am not doing something right) but he is slow on the bottle too...
He is a lazy boy, he sleeps a lot and that is probably because right now his bilirubin levels are high too. But he is peeing and pooping and seems somewhat satisfied.
Anyway, I am still sore, and frusterated and pumping and frusterated and sore....so I called lactation and made an appointment. The LC called me back and we talked for a while, after she had told me about a website called hands on pumping. So I pulled up the video on google and watched it. Teighan decided he wanted to watch it with me. They are so curious, I suppose to some mothers this is weird, but for me its just natural, boobs were made to make milk and for babies to eat, first place, second place for sexual stuff(but he doesnt know about that yet). Anyway he decided to watch it with me, and decided it was really important for me to do what they were telling me to do so that I can make enough milk for Tate. He also told me I needed to buy a white thing to put over my boobies so that I can use my hands and make more milk. Then he asked me how I make milk and I tried to explain that, but if you are interested in watching the video...as I thought about it...thinking this is probably not appropiate for him to be watching, but I have nursed in front of him with Koda(he probably doesnt remember) and now with Tate. I have also pumped, our house is small, and I have no special place to go, plus with the csection I stay on one level all day, so that is the downstairs so I can eat too!
So my son of 6 years will be schooled in breastfeeding...Opps. But he stays by my side and is so curious, should I tell him no, or just let this natural process be natural, its not like I am letting him watch people doing other things...but now adays...its on cartoons anyway.
Oh well, breastfeeding sucks, my kids will know more about boobs, and breastmilk, and babies poop and well, thats great!
lol

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! I think it's awesome that you are powering through it! Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete