my sweet peach

my sweet peach

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sleep...What are you doing??

Sleep. Defined as:

     Sleep is a naturally recurring state characterized by reduced or absent consciousness, relatively suspended sensory activity, and inactivity of nearly all voluntary muscles.[1] It is distinguished from quiet wakefulness by a decreased ability to react to stimuli, and is more easily reversible than being in hibernation or a coma. Sleep is a heightened anabolic state, accentuating the growth and rejuvenation of the immune, nervous, skeletal and muscular systems. It is observed in all mammals, all birds, and many reptiles, amphibians, and fish.(Wikipedia)

Do we really need sleep?  I don't need sleep. Actually if I add all the sleep I get up, I may get close to 5 solid hours a night, and that's pushing it.

Ok, yes I have a new baby, but he sleeps all night!  He has slept all night since he was born practically. We have a few wakeful nights a week/month usually during a growth spurt when he needs wants to nurse more. He is an AWESOME baby!  So its not him.

T had a really hard time falling asleep for the first 7 months. Usually it was on me, nursing on just laying on me or someone. Then he had his paci for one year...4...ok 4 years. Don't judge me. He slept great. I took it away things shifted, but once he is asleep he sleeps.

Koda on the other hand started out really great like Tate...(Dear God, please don't let Tate grow up into his sisters sleeping habits, Thank you. Me).  She slept well from birth, well maybe from 4-5months on. She had a paci for one year...4, yes again 4 years. Again, don't judge me. It was easier. Dad was on the road and it was just not the battle I was choosing. Anyway, she started having sleeping issues about 20months. Maybe right before or after her ear infections and she got tubes.

SHE DOES NOT SLEEP WELL!

She sleep talks, sleep toots(farts for those of you who don't know our terminology), sleep pees(makes it to the toilet most nights), she is up and down. After hours of sleeping or maybe just one, she says she cant sleep. She gets up and talks to me, or just climbs into bed with me.

Tonight, well tonight was different. I actually thought ZOMBIE...

Yes. YES. I said zombie.

I was downstairs typing and reading a blog...or fb. I don't remember. I heard a door close, then open then close. I didn't hear the footsteps anymore so I got up to check and see what, who was moving. I knew it was probably her.

I crept upstairs and the hall light was on again. The baby's door shut. I don't close his door all the way. hmmm. I opened the door expecting Koda sleeping on the rocking chair which I found her there last week...but nope she wasn't there. I looked into my room. Nope. The bathroom, nope. I opened the door to her room, looked into her bed. No Koda. where the heck hell is she.

I turned my head. My heart started beating so hard, and I was so confused, and shocked and scared. Yes I said it. Scared. I had NO IDEA what she was doing.

In my kids room they have a green chest that has blankets in it. It is now moved so it is against the wall as you walk in, the door opens towards it. Right now it had a few sweat shirts and clean clothes waiting to be put away on it. Ok it is a mess. Anyway. This is where I found her.

Standing on top of the green messy chest, hunched over, like she was looking for something. Like a zombie looking for food in a place where there was none. IT TOTALLY FREAKED ME OUT!

I said what are you doing. She looked up in a very confused dazed stare, like she was going to eat me.(We watch too many zombie movies/tv shows and Sean has read and told me about too many books). She didn't say anything.

Do you have to pee?...silence.

I help her down, she is in a complete daze. I look into her eyes. She is not there. It is a very scary thing I am seeing, not one I want to see, nor a road I want to venture down.

I did get her to the toilet. I gave her toilet paper. She wiped and gave it back to me. How thoughtful. Thanks my sweet peach. I love you.

So not only do I have a sleep talker, sleep tooter, sleep pee-er, a sleep fighter, I now(very dreaded SIGH) have a sleep walker.

Thank goodness I went upstairs. I thought the silence after footsteps and a door closing was too odd. She could have fallen off the green messy chest...but probably would have been ok cause of the clean clothes pile next to the green messy chest.

I don't sleep either. I just told the dog I couldn't let him out because I have to wait till the terminator comes. I meant exterminator we have a 'something' in the back yard.

I will take a terminator..for the zombies and the 'somethings' maybe then I can get some sleep.

1 comment:

  1. That is scary, Lil and Grady have each walked in their sleep a couple of times. It took me a while to find Grady one time....I thought for sure he had gotten into the car to try and drive somewhere!

    ReplyDelete